What is the cloud exactly?
“Cloud” is a buzzword that means: the internet – in other words, a network of servers. Each server has a different function. Some servers use computer power to run applications or “deliver a service”, while other servers in the network are responsible for storing data.
Cloud services could include:
- Web-based e-mail services
- Hosted office suites and document collaboration services
- Database processing
- Managed technical support services
- Online data storage and backup solutions
What are some benefits of having cloud services?
- Flexibility – If your needs increase or decrease, it’s easy to scale your cloud capacity
- Reduce capital costs – there’s no need to spend big money on hardware or software
- Work from anywhere – if you have an internet connection, you have access to work
- Increased collaboration & document control – your team can access, edit and share documents in real time, any time, all the time
- Security – No matter what happens to your device, you have access to that data, and can remotely wipe the data from lost laptops or devices
- Environmentally friendly – you only use the energy needed and you don’t leave an over-sized carbon footprint
What’s not to love?